25th Anniversary of ‘Scramble for Schools’ Golf Tournament Attracts More Than 100
The 25th anniversary of the Smoky Hill Education Foundation “Scramble for Schools” Golf Tournament attracted more than 110 participants on May 31.
The annual fundraiser brought in more than $8,000 in support of education at more than 50 school districts in Kansas. A tradition nearly as old as Smoky Hill Education Service Center itself, the tournament at the Salina Municipal Golf Course has grown to be one of the largest in the area.
Hundreds of door prizes from generous area donors went to the participants, including an amazing grand prize of a 55” Samsung flat-screen TV, which went to Gary Teel, board of education member with USD 365 Anderson County (Garnett, Greeley, Westphalia)!
Other top prizes included an autographed Cal Ripken, Jr. photo, which went to Lisa Dockstader; and an autographed George Brett photo, which was won by Monte Doll.
Prizes also went to golfers for their achievements on the course, announced as follows during the luncheon that concluded the tournament:
- Closest Second Shot: Sean Robertson
- Closest to Pin: Jared Simpson
- Longest Putt, Front 9: David Martin
- Longest Putt, Back 9: Larry Root
- B Flight, Third Place: Kale Katt, Megan Katt, Chad Eshbaugh, and Amy Eshbaugh from USD 333 Concordia.
- B Flight, Second Place: Rich Gilson, Jake Mense, Karl Peterson, and JR Kuchta from KCAV.
- B Flight, First Place: Nathan Sutter, Aaron Gillespie, Jon Lightle, and Shad Jacobs from Nex-Tech Wireless.
- A Flight, Third Place: Clark Coco, Jeff Travis, Keven Coco, and Kyle Beisner with Trane Analytics.
- A Flight, Second Place: Mark Bandre, Mike Bandre, Ethan Bandre, and Gary Teel.
- A Flight, First Place: Jake Montoya, Bob Warkentine, Jim Daily, and Darrel Drees.
- Championship Flight, Third Place: Jake Huffaker, Gavin Giroux, Marv Hamel, and Jacob Yarochowicz with BE Wealth.
- Championship Flight, Second Place: Larry Root, Stan Knipp, Dale Knipp, and Mitch Knipp.
- Championship Flight, First Place: Steve Blackman, Ed Abbuehl, Raub Kirkwood, and Lance Smith.
Congratulations to all the award winners and thank you to all the participants, donors, volunteers, and supporters who helped this year – and every year – to make the annual fundraiser a huge success!